Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Caffeine Deprivation


I gave up coffee this weekend. Not the usual withdrawals for me. No sir. Not one caffeine headache in sight. Instead, I was exhausted. I took a four hour nap on Saturday and then slept Sunday away. Since adrenal fatigue is a chronic problem with me, I thought the detox would strengthen them. 

When you consume caffeine, the drug begins its effects by initiating uncontrolled neuron firing in your brain, according to Stephen Cherniske in his book, Caffeine Blues. This excess neuron activity triggers your pituitary gland to secrete a hormone that tells your adrenal glands to produce adrenaline. I don't handle stress well and here I was stressing myself--daily! Granted it was only two cups of coffee a day and perhaps an occasional soda within the month, but it was enough. Bye bye caffeine. Wait and see, wait and see.
Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment