Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pulling Out My Hair



O
MG. OMG. How many times until I learn? SMH. I tried to get some support and sympathy from my spouse tonight. I am in the final week until the job transfer. It has been a troubling week in that I thought I was being held a month, instead of the traditional two weeks, to train my replacement.
My supervisor was sending me to my new office at the same moment my replacement was showing up for training. HUH? The supervisor stated my two coworkers could handle it. Then I find out from my replacement the slacker girl went missing and my bestie has to handle the phones and does not have time to spend training. She is not learning much when I am not there. 

I went to see my Director today. While completing some paperwork I need, we talked. I came away humbled and humiliated. It seems I was incorrect as to the reason for the month wait to transfer. Either of my other coworkers are capable of training the replacement. No other reason was offered. HUH?

So let's recap. The Director of Radiology does not like I am leaving. The Director over the physicians offices does not like I am leaving. The physician offices are upset I am leaving. Today I learn the operating room is upset I am leaving. Guess the only place that has no concerns I am going? YUP.

It matters not to my department. Truly, they see no greatness in me. I am equal to all others. In The 7 Hidden Reasons Employees Leave, Leigh Branham writes why many managers don’t care.
"The fact is that many managers and even senior executives simply don’t care about why their employees are leaving. Their attitude seems to be, “If you don’t like it, don’t let the door hit you in the backside on your way out!
If this sounds familiar, it should, because it describes the prevailing mindset of most managers in American companies today. Most are overworked, and many are frustrated by their inability to meet the demands of the current workforce, much less do exit interviews.

There will always be managers who are too preoccupied, self-focused, or insensitive to notice the signs that employees are becoming disengaged and too uncaring, complacent, blaming, in denial, insecure, or ego-defensive to find out the real reasons they left. They too readily accept turnover as “a cost of doing business.” They are too willing to believe the superficial reasons for leaving that employees give in exit interviews.

Why? Psychologists call it “motivated blindness”; they cannot handle the truth — that the real reason the employee left may be linked to their own behavior. These managers are actually choosing not to see, hear, or speak the “evil” that plagues them.

I have to admit I was one who became disengaged. What is that? Disengaged employees are uncommitted, marginally productive, frequently absent, or, in the case of the actively disengaged, actually work against the interests of the company. I was not in the latter category, but I was disruptive, complaining, and occupied the time and attention of my supervisor and Director far too frequently. I figured out I no longer fit the job, *deep sigh of relief*.

Here it comes. Brace yourself. I was trying to explain to my spouse my frustration that my department can't see or acknowledge the level of talent they are losing. I can't figure out why they kept me a month or why they failed to tell me when my last day was. I had to ask my new supervisor when I was to show up. All I got was 'you bitched about the job, now you're bitching about leaving the job'. Blink. Blink.

I found this sentence describing an abusive man in everyday life. 'He doesn't like having her appear in public as smart, capable, and interesting, because that collides with his deeply held belief that she is irrational, incompetent, and worthy of being ignored—a view of her that he many want others to share with him.'


Him and my managers. lol.






No comments:

Post a Comment